Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cleaning House, Part 2

So last week I wrote about chorebuster.net, and I was hoping that having a daily schedule e-mailed to me would help me tackle the cleaning demons. And I'm checking back in to report that BOY HOWDY it works. By having set tasks to do every day, I'm not doing a ton of work in any given day, but I'm keeping on top of things. My house is noticeably cleaner. I'm tackling those tasks that I always forget to do, and then I can relax, knowing that I've taken care of what I need to for the day, and not stress about what else needs to be done.

It's not so much that I'm so into the cleaning, as much that I finally feel like I'm in control of the housework rather than vice versa. This week I haven't expanded nearly as much energy looking around at the house and wondering how the hell it got like this and what the hell I need to do to make it look more like my friends' houses. Honestly, it's a little embarrassing that I can't just clean things when they are dirty, but the plain, simply truth is that I procrastinate too well--I can always come up with a reason why something should be done tomorrow instead of today. Having the list eliminates that. Having the computer spit the list out at me eliminates my tendency to put the tough tasks (which are NEVER as bad as I imagine them) off to the next day, and the next, and the next. Feeling like I finally have control of my environment is incredibly liberating.

No comments:

Post a Comment