Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Now we sing of fair maid with gold upon her chin...

Open you the East door and turn the new year in.

I'm not just desperately hoping, I'm also planning that this year, 2011, will be the year of being more organized. I'm making a good start--I finally got some large storage bins to put away all of Sam's old clothes, which previously had been thrown in his closet since I had no place else to put them. Turns out that four bins is not enough--I'll need at least two more, and probably a third for some toys.

Living in a small house with very little storage has been tough, especially once we added a child and his multiple possessions to the mix. I think we're going to bite the bullet and get a small storage unit soon--mostly for things like the crib, which we won't be using for quite a while, but which we will need again one day. But there's a lot of guilt involved for me in taking this step--it feels like a sickness to have so many things that you can't store them in your house. What are we DOING with this much stuff??!! What kind of sick first-world, overprivileged problem is this?

So much of our stuff is gifts--a huge portion of the stuff I'm keeping and not using are wedding presents--crystal and glasses that I know I will use one day, but just don't have the space for right now. Remembrances of people who are now gone. So those will go into storage.

An interesting side effect of the little money/no space problem is that I very rarely buy things for myself now. And when I do, like a simple hand towel at Target, I get so much enjoyment out of it. It feels like such a treat, because buying something I like just isn't the norm anymore. Even if I had all the space and all the money in the world, I think I'd still keep to this new way of not buying stuff frequently. Every time I look at my towel I get a little thrill.

No comments:

Post a Comment