Friday, January 7, 2011

Yearly recap

I found this over at Sundry's blog, and it seemed like a cool idea. So here it goes...


1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Throw a third birthday party for my son. Go to both my grandfather's 90th birthday party and to his funeral. Took a hard look at myself and really dealt with my problem (PMDD). Took my son out on Big Bear Lake. Helped break down a couple of trees and dry our own firewood. Decorate a Christmas tree with my son.  Saw the worst and snowiest winter of my life. Held my son as he was put under and left him on an operating table. Navigated my way through special education.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I didn't make any resolutions last year, because they've not worked out well for me in the past. But this year I'm resolving to loose some weight, because the family history of diabetes is just too strong for me to ignore it anymore. 
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Three of my dearest friends all had baby girls this year! It was so wonderful to welcome those little lives into the world. 
4. Did anyone close to you die?

We lost my grandfather this year. He was 90, and went out at the top of his game. I miss him every day, but it's not a sad missing. I'm not sad he's gone, but I just miss him. 
5. What countries did you visit?
None.

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
More peace of mind. 
A  vacation for just our family. 
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
October 8, the day my grandfather died. I'm not great at specific dates, but definitely the days my friends had their babies. 
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Recognizing that I had PMDD and deciding to get some help. It is so amazing, and I am so humbly grateful, that now in the week before my period I can clean my house, deal with my son, cook meals, and not sit on the couch crying. Putting myself first and realizing that I HAD to care for myself before I could care for my family. 
9. What was your biggest failure?
I really fell off the exercise bus this year. And that seems like it has affected so many other parts of my life. 
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I spent the whole winter of 2010 sick. It was a brutal stretch, and one that I am doing EVERYTHING in my power to avoid. 
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A new storm door for the back door. It has been fantastic! I love having the retractable screen for milder days. Also new bras.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage and groceries, sadly. 
13. What did you get really excited about?
Christmas so fun this year. And finally getting speech therapy services for my son after slogging through the system for about seven months. My sister-in-law getting engaged. Meeting my niece for the first time.
14. What song will always remind you of 2010?
I'm not sure this year has a particular song for me. Which is unusual. 
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier.
– thinner or fatter? I think I weigh less, but it feels like more fat and less muscle than last year.
– richer or poorer? Richer--we're making slow but steady financial progress.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Writing. Turning off the computer. More walks. Go into the city more often. Exercise.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Worrying about things I can't change. Asking my husband to pick up dinner instead of cooking. 
18. How did you spend Christmas?
At home--so peaceful and wonderful. 
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Doctor Who.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Mockingjay. Best Friends Forever. I don't even know--I can't remember much of what I read this year. 
21. What was your favorite music from this year?

I don't think I listened to any current music this year at all! I spent a lot of time listening to Wailing Jennys, the Cars soundtrack (ugh), and whatever popped up on Pandora. 
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
REDS, How to Train Your Dragon, The A-Team. We didn't see a ton of movies this year but more than we did last year. I started Inception but we wound up falling asleep and I haven't rented it out again yet. 
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 32 (I think??) and we all went to the knitting store, got me some new knitting supplies, then went out to lunch and had cupcakes. It was a great day. 
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I'd gotten treatment for the PMDD earlier.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
I wore clothes that were usually clean and mostly brushed my hair before leaving the house. 
26. What kept you sane?
My husband. My friends. My son. Exercise. Prozac. Most especially Prozac!!
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.

You absolutely must put your oxygen mask on first before helping others. It does others no good when you black out from lack of oxygen before you can get their mask adjusted. And setting a good example of self-care is one of the most important things you can do for your children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment